Simple spaghetti Saturday


Spaghetti - a thin, long and stringlike type of pasta – is the quintessential Italian food. It is typically eaten with meatballs or in a tomato-based meat sauce. I love spaghetti, but I often prepare it in a non-traditional way. I enjoy cooking tomato sauce from scratch but - especially when the weather feels like spring (even though it’s autumn!) - I want something lighter and fresher but still hearty.
I used one of my favourite ingredients - the borlotti bean.  This beautifully speckled bean is full of protein and has a firm yet creamy texture. I added fresh cherry tomatoes, garlic infused olive oil, freshly shaved pecorino romano and baby basil.  I finished it with a little sprinkle of dried red chili.  I love wholemeal or wholegrain pasta – it’s healthy for one, but it also has a rich grainy texture and stronger flavour. Remember - you have to cook it (a little) longer than regular pasta.
This was a great, light dinner but would also make a tasty and filling lunch.


11 comments:

  1. Isn't simple pasta some of the best pasta? This looks pretty nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I definitely subscribe to the 'less is more' philosophy of pasta recipes - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This looks so simple and fresh. Yum! I also had a pasta Sunday - lasagne. I think I might try making my own wholewheat lasagne sheets next time. Your post inspired me to make it vaguely healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love simple spaghetti. I love adding beans, but never tried this one, so thank you for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen borlotti beans. I'll have to see where I can purchase them here in Seattle. Lovely, light meal!

    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great combination! It sounds like a light, but filling meal, perfect for a change in seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my favorite of pasta dish...so fresh and looks just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love spaghetti too....actually, i love all sorts of pasta. Lol.
    I make something very similar but i have never used pecorino cheese....i will look for that at the grocery store next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone - thanks for the kind words. I'm glad that my pasta recipe could be of some inspiration to you in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thanks for coming to my website. Wow! I'm so impressed by your photography style. Your website is really unique and I love it. I need to go back reading more post now. It was nice to meet you. :-)

    ReplyDelete