Baked and bruised


Pastry making is an art that I never really had an interest in until I went to cooking school.  It's there that I learned to make different types of pastry – sweet, savoury and the famously scary puff. Of course the perfectionist  in me wanted to do the best job I could. Well, it turns out I can’t make a very good puff pastry – but I find it comforting to know that many great chefs have shared that they can’t either. Thank goodness.

Having moved on from my perfect pastry days, I now say no to perfect shapes and lines and yes to messy curves.  I love funny, misshapen and quirky looking pastry. Can’t you tell? Some call it rustic...
This tart gives you an idea of what I love. Dark lueberries with their juices spilling out, sweet apples flecked with lemon and a hint of cardamom – all encased in a bready, sugar-topped pastry. Unkempt yet unrivalled – this is another keeper.

blueberry, apple and cardamom galette
adapted from a recipe from Eden Kitchen
makes one tasty tart

pastry
60g (1/2 cup) plain organic flour
50g (1/2 cup) rye flour
pinch sea salt
2 tbsp demerara sugar
75g butter, cold and diced
2 tbsp cold water
1 egg separated

filling
1 cup blueberries – I used frozen but use fresh if you have
2 small tart apples – or any apple would work, peeled, cored and sliced
1 lemon, zest and juice
2 tbsp demerara sugar
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tbsp cornflour*

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
To make crust: place flours, salt and sugar in large bowl – add pieces of cold butter and rub into flour repeatedly until mix resembles sandy texture – a few larger pieces are ok. Add cold water 1 tbsp at a time to bring dough together. You might need a  little more water but careful not to add too much (if too wet, just add a little more flour). Place dough on floured surface and knead until comes together well. Place in clingwrap and refrigerate 10-15 minutes.

To make filling: place apples in a bowl with lemon zest, half juice and sugar. Leave aside. Place blueberries, half juice, sugar, cardamom and cornflour in a separate bowl – mix well and leave aside.

Take out pastry from fridge and gently roll out on floured surface or on baking paper – roll out to at least 30-35 cm diameter. Brush the surface of pastry with egg white (which help keeps it from cracking). Place apples and blueberries on dough – make sure not too watery from lemon juice. Carefully fold over pastry one section at a time – pinch any cracks. Brush the pastry top with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle generously with sugar.  Place into oven and baking 40-50 minutres or until pastry is golden brown (mine was a bit darker – I was generous with my sprinkle of sugar!). Take out and place on cooling rack. Serve alone or with some sweet and cold ice cream. Enjoy.

*using the cornflour helps thicken the fruit juices that leak out during cooking – you can also use almond meal or flour.

23 comments:

  1. This looks delicious - a bit like a galette. I love that you've sprinkled sugar on the crust too to make it extra crunchy. I'm thinking of making one of these tomorrow with figs, and looking at yours has settled the matter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love a rustic tart! So beautiful...and the perfect way to usher in apple season~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this dessert looks delicious and the non-perfect nature of it works really well! Love the flavors, perfect entry into fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say it looks perfect! And yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bhavani, you make this pie look like yummy art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am terrified of attempting puff pastry! This looks great and I love the combination of apples and blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the messy-natural look of your pastry recipe. The berries look really yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A sweet mess indeed! this rustic tart looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes we are our worst critics! This tart looks delicious. I would much rather have a homemade appearance to something rather than a perfect manufactured look any day. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the photos-they're just stunning! And your rustic tart looks so edible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A truly gorgeous tart, bursting with visual flavor! I hope to try making a rustic tart with the first of fall's apples :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so fond of the tarts that don't require a rolled-out and fancy edge crust. This is right up my alley. I also love the use of cardamom in the filling. It's my newest favorite spice. Your tart is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful galette...always a favorite of mine, love their rustic beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always believed that perfection is over-rated :P and neat curves and straight lines are oh-so-boring and synthetic! Give me rustic, unkempt, chaotic, overflowing any day and I'm more than happy :)
    Absolutely love the baked and bruised pie!! So full of flavour, sweetness, tartness and crunch... yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Baked and bruised anyday over perfect and polished , for me.

    The tart looks so tempting and sexy. Yes, it looks sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is exactly my kind of dessert. Some creme fraiche and a glass of sticky and I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the sweet words friends - happy you like my rustic creation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always wanted to make a gallette.This looks so lovely and juicy and paired with the buttery pastry, it would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely stunning...what a beautiful flavor combination and such a tasty rustic tart!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i was just think of you with Mum yesterday! this is just lovely, b.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks delicious. Would love for you to share the pictures with us over at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  22. your photos are amazing...as are your yummy looking recipes
    Mireille
    http://gourmetglobal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete