A morning of muffins

It’s been a little while since I’ve baked muffins.  It must be the heat but also that I simply forgot how easy it is to throw a few things together and, voila, you have muffins!


After a few requests from friends looking for something healthy (not too sweet) and quick to make and take to work, I decided to try a new recipe, using some very ripe bananas in my kitchen.
I added freshly grated ginger (and ground ginger) for spiced heat and blackstrap molasses – an often overlooked and/or ignored ingredient that’s also a surprisingly good source of iron (and is a healthy way of sweetening foods).  The molasses also lends a distinct flavour – somewhat salty and rich with a touch of sweetness. For a final touch, I added nuts -- walnuts seemed to fit with the other flavours well.

I think these muffins are a healthy snack for any time of day; perfect to pick up and go in the morning or to pack with your lunch.  If you want to add protein simply spread them with peanut butter – using natural peanut butter (or almond butter for those averse to peanuts) is best. Enjoy.

banana ginger and molasses muffins
makes a dozen muffins

2 organic eggs
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup oil – any non-fragrant oil is fine
2 ripe bananas
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp each ground ginger and cinnamon
¼ tsp ground clove
1 cup wholemeal flour (you could also use gluten free flour or spelt)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup walnuts (break up into small pieces)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/350 fahrenheit

First, in a medium sized bowl combine wet ingredients – beat eggs, add in molasses and oil and mix well.  Using a fork, mash bananas on a plate and then add in to wet mix.  Add in spices. In a separate bowl add dry ingredients and mix flour with cocoa and baking powders.  Add in dry ingredients to wet mix, a little at a time ensuring to incorporate everything well.  Lastly, fold in walnut pieces.

Spoon in a muffin tray and bake 15-20 minutes.  Remove and let cool - the muffins should remain moist in the middle. 


  1. These look great! I wanted a muffin so badly this morning, but there weren't any left in my work kitchen. Seeing these photos helps. :)

  2. These look delicious (and incidentally, I love your kitchen spoon - just like a jungle vine!) I've never come across backstrap molasses before - is it easy to find?

  3. These are sooooo bookmarked! Great pictures and wonderful lookin' muffins!

    Great blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xx
    Delightful Bitefuls

  4. Thanks for the lovely comments!

    Yes, blackstrap molasses should be pretty easy to find in most grocery stores - and definitely health food stores. You can use it in both savoury and sweet recipes.

  5. These look like a lovely change from my usual banana muffins... almost gingerbread-like even, what with the molasses and warm spices you've used.
    I'm saving this recipe for the next time I have some overripe bananas and a craving for muffins. Can't wait to try them out for myself!

  6. These are absolutely wonderful :) Molasses and ginger...very lovely!

  7. What an unusual flavour combo! I am very keen to give this a try, they look gorgeous.

  8. Thanks for the nice words! yes, as Isabelle mentioned these muffins turned out very much like gingerbread.

    Good luck with the baking adventures everyone!

  9. I love how you changed these muffins from just plain decadent to healthy and decadent at the same time. yum!

  10. hey, i just came across your blog and i have really enjoyed reading some of your entries (and not to mention the amazing photos too!)
    i've never added ginger to my muffins before...will be giving this a go next time!

  11. Thanks for the comments!

    Virginia - anything healthy and decadent is high on my list of things to make!

    Vivienne - glad you enjoyed reading/viewing - let me know how you like using the ginger!

  12. I love how these don't use refined sugar! I will be sure to try these out, im a huge fan the bold taste of molasses and ginger!

  13. Oh woww...those look amazing, and I even love that photo of the mess:)) Wonderful post amazing recipe and photos:)

  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

  15. Hi Anne - glad to hear you're also a fan of molasses and ginger - so delicious!

    Hi Sandra - thanks for the sweet comment - happy you enoyed the post.

  16. Such beautiful photography as always :)

    Shari from www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

  17. These photos are gorgeous! Stunning really! ♥- Katrina

  18. Thanks Shari and Katrina for the very sweet words!

  19. I was searching around for these muffins and I just made them and they are wonderful! I added a shot of chai tea concentrate too for a little added spice!